If you abuse lean, or the combination of codeine and soda or alcohol, then there is a good chance you’re addicted and require treatment.
Am I Addicted to Lean?
Lean is the street term for codeine cough syrup mixed with soda or alcohol to create a strong high. Many adolescents abuse this substance at parties without realizing that the inclusion of codeine, a dissociative narcotic, can cause addiction.
Lean Abuse and Addiction: What You Don’t Know
Drinking a mix of codeine cough syrup and alcohol is much more dangerous than most people who abuse this substance actually realize. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, “Codeine… presents a high risk of fatal overdose due to [its] effect of depressing the central nervous system, which can slow or stop the heart and lungs.”
This is because the drug is a narcotic, which means it creates severe respiratory depression when abused in large doses. Unfortunately, mixing the drug with alcohol only increases this risk. Because it is cough syrup, many adolescents who do abuse codeine in this way do not realize how dangerous it is.
In addition, like other opioid drugs, codeine can cause addiction (National Library of Medicine). If you have been drinking lean often at parties or at other times, there is a strong likelihood that you may already be addicted.
Am I Addicted to Lean?
Consider the questions below, and ask yourself if they may be true. Codeine addiction is serious, and no matter how the drug is abused, it can always occur.
- Do you feel like you need to drink lean to feel good or have fun?
- Whenever you are not using this drug, are you thinking about using it?
- Have you noticed yourself become apathetic toward the things that used to matter to you?
- Do you drink lean even when you’re alone?
- When you have tried to cut back or stop drinking this substance, have you experienced withdrawal symptoms?
- Has more than one of your loved ones expressed concern over your use of this drug?
- Do you seek out the drug, even to your own detriment?
- Have you ever overdosed or experienced a severe physical or psychological reaction to the drug?
- Have you ever experienced problems at work or school because of your use of this substance?
- Have you experienced legal, financial, or relationship problems because of your use of this substance?
- In spite of these issues, do you still feel that you cannot quit on your own?
If you answered yes to more than one of the questions above, you will require help for your abuse of this substance, as you are already addicted to codeine. Abusing alcohol along with cough syrup has likely made your experience worse, and your doctor will need to ensure that you receive treatment for the abuse of both substances.
Get Lean Abuse Treatment Now
It is absolutely necessary that you seek addiction treatment if your abuse of the drug has gone beyond your control. Call (800) 407-7195(Who Answers?) now to find a rehab center that will cater to your needs and allow you to recover safely.