Learn about the common short-term effects of OxyContin, as well as the signs of overdose and what to do in this situation.
Exploring the Short-Term Effects of OxyContin
Are You Looking for Confidential Help? Available 24/7
Call now for:
- Access to the best rehab centers to overcome addiction
- Financial assistance program that gets you the help you need
- Clear answers to your questions on your road to recovery
OxyContin is a brand name for oxycodone — an opioid painkiller that treats moderate to severe pain. OxyContin is generally prescribed for short-term use, since the drug is highly addictive and can lead to physical dependence. Knowing more about the short-term effects of OxyContin can help you determine whether certain symptoms are normal, or associated with the risk for overdose.
If you or someone you love is suffering from addiction to oxycodone, understand that help is available and nearby. Call our 24/7 confidential helpline at (800) 407-7195(Who Answers?) to learn more about drug rehab centers that can help you or your loved one overcome opioid addiction.
Here’s a closer look at the short-term effects of OxyContin, as well as OxyContin overdose signs and how to handle an overdose.
Short-Term Effects of OxyContin
OxyContin is a slow-releasing formula of oxycodone usually taken once every 12 or 24 hours to reduce pain. Taking OxyContin as prescribed can help you relax and recover while experiencing lasting pain relief. When using OxyContin, take this drug exactly as directed for the best results, and to lower your risk for an overdose and/or death.
Here are short-term effects of OxyContin:
- Extreme relaxation
- Pain relief
- Reduced anxiety
Signs of OxyContin Overdose
The effects of OxyContin are heightened when abusing the drug and taking larger doses. OxyContin can lead to an overdose when taking more than the prescribed amount at once, and when taking doses more frequently than directed. OxyContin can also cause an overdose if the medication is crushed, chewed, or dissolved, or when mixed with water and injected.
When abused, OxyContin can cause slowed respiration and heart failure — leading to an overdose. Many times, an overdose can lead to coma and death.
Here are common signs of OxyContin overdose:
- Loss of consciousness
- Inability to speak when awake
- Slow, shallow, or stopped breathing
- Choking sounds
- Skin that looks pale or feels clammy
- Blue- or purple-hued lips and nails
- Heart rate that is slow, erratic, or stopped
Handling an OxyContin Overdose
If you are helping someone who has overdosed on OxyContin, stay calm, and contact emergency services as soon as possible. Emergency services will walk you through trying to help and revive an overdose victim until first responders arrive at the scene.
Here are steps you can take when facing an OxyContin overdose:
- Try to rouse or wake the individual.
- Verify the person’s airway is clear and open.
- Check for a pulse and signs of breathing.
- Loosen tight clothing that may restrict breathing.
- Perform rescue breathing or CPR as directed by emergency services.
- Lie the person onto their side with one knee draped forward to prevent vomit from blocking the airway.
- Stay with the person until first responders arrive.
If you or someone you care about is struggling with oxycodone addiction, understand that help is just one phone call away. Call our 24/7 confidential helpline at (800) 407-7195(Who Answers?) to learn more about the short-term effects of OxyContin, as well as effective treatments that can help you or your loved one overcome opioid addiction.