“When will things ever get easier,” Samantha wondered aloud. Thanks to this pandemic, she couldn’t interact with anyone for four more weeks! That’s an eternity. Samantha knows if she doesn’t have support for a single day, it feels like she’s on the verge of kissing her six weeks of sobriety goodbye. “Guess it’s time to …
Virtual NA Meetings: Here’s What You Need to Know
“When will things ever get easier,” Samantha wondered aloud. Thanks to this pandemic, she couldn’t interact with anyone for four more weeks! That’s an eternity. Samantha knows if she doesn’t have support for a single day, it feels like she’s on the verge of kissing her six weeks of sobriety goodbye. “Guess it’s time to see what these virtual NA meetings are all about.”
Whether it’s due to quarantine, car trouble, or childcare issues, many people find it hard to attend in-person Narcotics Anonymous (NA) meetings – but they need them.
For all the downsides of the Covid-19 pandemic, one bright spot has been the upsurge in online resources. Now, it’s pretty darn simple to attend an NA meeting without even leaving your house. And just like in-person meetings, these virtual meetings offer crucial support and encouragement to stay clean and sober.
How Virtual Support Groups Work
Here’s a look at how these online 12-Step meetings offer help:
- Learn how to cope: Get insights from others who have been where you are. There ARE healthy ways to deal with your emotions and stress. But they aren’t always intuitive. You have to learn the best strategies to use. Learn about them by attending a virtual meeting.
- Fight urges: How can you deal with triggers? What’s the best way to fight urges when they hit you out of nowhere? Virtual NA meetings can help you learn how to deal with these challenges. You’ll learn new insights and pick up new skills that will help you overcome even the strongest urges.
- Stay motivated: We all need encouragement. And we could use fresh ideas to stay motivated. With virtual NA meetings, you can learn new ways to keep yourself on the right track and receive encouragement from others to help you stay there. It’s good to have cheerleaders in your corner, and virtual NA meetings can help you find this support, no matter where you are physically.
- Get plugged in: You don’t have to do this alone. And you shouldn’t try to. Virtual NA meetings give you access to a strong recovery network. They plug you into resources and support that will help you maintain sobriety and allow you to thrive in the clean-and-sober life. Virtual meetings remove many challenges and barriers so you can reach out and get the help you need.
The Convenience of Virtual 12-Step Meetings
And what may be the biggest help of all? You can get all the support you need from anywhere in the world – as long as you have an Internet connection.
Virtual NA meetings offer all the above benefits of in-person meetings, but offer additional advantages.
- They work with tight schedules: No drive-time needed. Plug into a virtual NA meeting between other responsibilities of work and home. And with meetings across the nation, it’s easy to find one at all different times of day.
- They don’t require transportation: Don’t have a car? Unable to drive? Don’t want to get out during bad weather? No problem. Attend a virtual NA meeting from home.
- They don’t require childcare: Access support without finding a babysitter. You can be at home with your kids and get the help you need, with virtual NA meetings.
- They don’t require masks: Virtual meetings are perfect for those who need to follow COVID-related restrictions. Remain a safe distance while connecting when you need support most.
- They are available everywhere: Whether you’re traveling or are living in a rural area with limited in-person options, virtual NA meetings are a great way to get support anywhere in the world. Simply plug in on your favorite device and find a meeting to attend online.
Find a Virtual NA Meeting Near You
Not a tech guru? No worries. All you need is a phone, computer, or tablet to access a virtual NA meeting. Most virtual NA meetings use Zoom, Skype, or other simple video-based programs to run the meetings. These systems are easy to install on your device, and they walk you through everything step by step – so you can access virtual NA meetings in no time.
Plus, Narcotics Anonymous has a helpful directory and an easy-to-use app to help you find and attend a virtual meeting. (Android users get the app here.) You can even start your own virtual NA meeting. Here’s the scoop on how to go about doing that.
The organization has also set up a help page to provide more virtual meeting resources. With these convenient online options, it’s never been easier to get the support you need.
For information about treatment options for you or a loved one, call 844-431-5818(Who Answers?) today.
Images Courtesy of Pixabay